Monday, July 16, 2007

Library Books

I love the library close to our house. It's large and has enough books for me to read until the end of my life. It's rare that I ever leave the library without a HUGE pile of books. I can't help myself. Most of the books seem interesting, or then I'm borrowing them to help me study on some subject. And why not borrow a lot of books? After all, it's free over here. And most of the books are in a really good condition. I've rarely come across books that are coming apart. I've seen a few books with coffee stains or wavey pages.

However, I've just happened to come across the good books. Last week my brother complained when reading a library book. He commented on how some dweeb had written all over the pages and made some corrections to the text [which were uncorrect].

I was just wondering... Why does someone do that? Do they get some kind of adrenaline rush out of it? Is it really so funny to destroy books that are free to read?

Do these people also do the same kind of things to magazines/books they have loaned from their friends? Really... I'm just wondering. Oh well.

But of course, a behaviour like this on library magazines is common.

Many people seem to think it's alright that they can cut out all the pictures of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom and other famous film stars. But really... I don't know. I just find it really idiotic. Apparently the person who's done that hasn't thought that someone else might want to read some article or look at the pictures. If they want it so badly, can't they just loan the book and go photocopy the pages they want?! The libraries even have photocopy machines and using them isn't too expensive.

Oh well, it's just my opinion, but it just annoys me when I see or hear about stuff like that.

Though... It does remind me of a rather hilarious, but stupid incident my friend came across years back. She was reading a library book and suddenly came across a page with a raisin that had been squashed between the pages. Not only had it been squashed, but next to it someone had written "Hyvää ruokahalua". The translation to this Finnish sentence is somewhere along the lines "Bon appetit".

Of course, it's rather disgusting, but I have to admit that it's pretty funny.

No comments: